Monday, January 7, 2008

Egg Retrieval

Today we drove up to Clarion North by 9am to be checked in for my egg retrieval. We anticipated the possibility of this being done by laparoscopy due to the endometriosis having adhered my cervix to my bowel. I was hooked up to the IV and then we spoke with a biologist, the anesthesiologist and finally Dr. Jarrett. Dr. Jarrett said that he would try his best to do the retrieval without laparoscopy. I asked him if he was surprised that my ovaries stimulated so much. He said, "Yes, pleasantly surprised. Good job. Now I just need to get them out."

I then was taken to the IVF OR where I was hooked up to all sorts of monitors and then given a cocktail of meds to put me to sleep. It wasn't general anesthesia, but felt like it. I think it took about 20-30 minutes and he was able to do the retrieval normally with the needle aspiration although somewhat challenging. Yeah! Curtis was sent to do his part. Dr. Jarrett told Curtis afterward that he was able to extract 10 good quality eggs and was very pleased with that. There were more follicles than that, but many of them were so crowded that he wasn't able to aspirate all of them. So now the biologists are doing their part and will call us in the morning with the fertilization report. In a couple days they will freeze them all and then in a month we'll try the 2nd half of this process and hope that a baby will result from all this technology. Thanks for your prayers. Everything went as well today as it could have!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! ". . . his part . . . !!" Thanks for the updates, We're praying for ya!

Debbie Hufferd said...

That is great news. I promise the recovery is better than if you would have had to have surgery to retrieve. You are in my thoughts...

Debbie Hufferd