This morning we arrived at the hospital expecting the usual from last time. When I was being lead back to the prep room the nurse asked to confirm that Dr. Schultz was doing my procedure. I said, No, I was expecting Dr. Jarrett. Well, she called up to his office to find out that it was going to be Dr. Schultz since Dr. Jarrett was off today. She understood my being upset and suggested that I talk to the office about my feelings and the fact that no one informed me it would be Dr. Schultz (his partner). I was given a gown and robe to change into and gradually began to feel more and more upset about the whole thing. I began to cry and then sob about it all. Curtis held me and prayed with me that we could trust God no matter who did the procedure. I kept saying, "I'm sure she's good, but she's not MY Dr. and I wasn't expecting this." I laid down on the bed trying to calm down praying and talking to myself. I kept thinking, God is bigger than this and His will will be carried out regardless of who does the retrieval. I then heard Dr. Jarrett's voice out the hallway. I was thinking, what is he doing here if it's his day off, but was sure he was just passing through. The biologist then came in to go over a few things with me, then the nurse to put in the IV. While one nurse was doing the IV the original nurse came in to tell me that Dr. Jarrett was in fact here and would be doing the retrieval. I thought, "are you serious?". She said that somehow he's come in to do it. She wasn't sure of the details. Then, when he came in I said, "I thought you were supposed to be off today.' He said, "Well, I was. . . I was supposed to be leaving for New Orleans this morning." It turns out he was supposed to be going with his wife for something with her business, but late last night found out he didn't have to go. I told him how glad I was he was there and would be doing the retrieval. He said, "I wouldn't miss it". But, I'm thinking, well you almost did. . . . He then wheeled the bed and me down to the OR. Then I asked, "So I hear that you don't do transfers on Fridays?" He said, "well, not necessarily". I then asked, "Is there any chance you could do my transfer on Friday?"
He said he would do his best. So as you can see, it was kind of a stressful morning even before anything got started, but it all worked out in the end. Curtis was saying how God is just continuing to teach us to trust Him more and more. Man, but what a hard lesson.
So, anyway, about the retrieval. All in all it went well. He was only able to retrieve 6 eggs, which I was kind of bummed about. I asked him afterward if the others weren't mature and he said, "For you, 6 is good." Whatever that means. So maybe the other follicles weren't mature or didn't contain an egg or who knows. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Now we're praying that all or at least most fertilize enough that we have 2 really good embryos to transfer back on Friday.
Today is a beautiful day to be home to rest. I was dozing while reclining on the patio earlier. Curtis is working on draining and refilling the hot tub and is pretty excited about using it now. :)
1 comment:
Amy,
Thanks for the update! I have been keeping up with you through the blog and saying prayers every night!
I just wanted to remind you the story I told you when I had to go and deliver the twins knowing one was already gone.
I woke up on Saturday morning and was in labor. My Dr Jarrett was not on call so I had to assume another doctor would be handling and as you can imagine, I was devasted thinking no one knew me like he did...as it turns out, he was the on staff dr that day and decided that he needed to be there for us...it all worked out the way I thought it was supposed to just like you today....this has got to be a good sign!
Take care of yourself, gets lots of rest and sunshine! I will be thinking of you and Curtis...you will be in my prayers as always!
Keep us all posted on the progress!
Post a Comment