Wednesday, January 7, 2009

37 Weeks

I had another OB appointment this morning since I am now going weekly. I expected the appointment to be quick and painless like all the others have been, but there was a little more to it this time. Dr. Fenoughty checked the measurement of my belly which actually measured small. The measurement in cm should coincide with the # of weeks pregnant. Up until now that has been the case. However today at 37 weeks, I measured only at 34. She also checked to see if I'm dialated at all, which I'm not, but could determine that the baby had dropped lower into my pelvis. She was concerned about my size so had to get another ultrasound to make sure the fluid levels were adequate and that the baby is growing well. It was nice to see him again on the ultrasound. The fluid levels came back fine at 14. Anything below 5 is concerning. The baby is measuring small, however. He measured approx 5lb 12oz. He is in the 17th percentile for size and I guess anything below 20 is concerning. So, then they had me get hooked up to the monitors for about 30-40 minutes to monitor the baby's heart rate and activity as well as any contractions I was having. Initially he wasn't moving much and the heart rate stayed around 135. It was interesting to see that I am having regular contractions, but not something I'm noticing much and nothing that is causing any pain. They then gave me a mini pack of M&M's and this instantly boosted his activity and heart rate which was what they were wanting to see. So, the conclusion after all this is that the baby is fine, the fluid is fine, his movement is fine, but he just may be genetically small. Not surprising considering the size of Curtis and I. Dr. Fenoughty's concern was that he's not getting enough nutrition from the placenta or that the fluid was dropping which could compromise his health. But neither of which were true at this time. Basically I'm just supposed to closely monitor his movements and if they drop off they want me to come in to be monitored again. If his movement, growth or fluid levels drop off she would induce me into labor to prevent any problems. So, all in all everything is still fine, but all the testing was a little anxiety provoking. It just looks like we'll be having a small baby which I guess is a good thing- easier to push out right? :) We just want to make sure he's healthy. Please pray for his continued growth and health in the coming weeks. :)

5 comments:

Christy said...

That must have been scary! I'm so glad everything is okay.

Anonymous said...

Okay...reading this made everything make more sense. I'm glad to hear that things checked out okay. (On a lighter note, I think it is cute that M&M's made him move around...do I sense a sweet tooth in his future?) We'll keep praying for the next few weeks. It's good to know how to pray.

Love you guys!

amdischler said...

Thanks for the update Amy. I'm sorry your day was filled with such concern. Needless to say, it would bother me too. No mom wants to be told that something wasn't right. We'll be praying for you and Curtis these next couple of weeks. We can't wait to see the little guy!

Sarah said...

Wow, that would have been scary, but I'm glad it had a good outcome. We'll be praying for you over the next few weeks and trusting God with the safe arrival of your little man. It's so exciting!

Anonymous said...

whew... they do a good job scaring you, don't they? it's good to hear that he's doing ok... we're praying for a safe and healthy delivery... in a few weeks!