Friday, April 18, 2008

Moving on

I know it's been a long time since I've posted last. You all are probably wondering what has been going on with me/us. Well, to be honest until recently there wasn't much to say. Just waiting. And, I think it's probably been good for me to "disconnect" from the blog, IVF forums etc for a while. It was getting a little obsessive last time around. Also, it's been good to have my mind on other things. Happy things. Not worrying. I must say, I think the spring time does help my overall mood and outlook on life.

Anyway, I'm getting into the thick of the meds. I started the Lupron injections a week ago and have just finished 22 days of birth control pills. For those of you who don't know- these are to depress my own hormones so that the artificial stimulating hormones can take full effect. Getting back to doing the injections again was as though I never stopped. No big thing. At least not so far. The stimulating meds (FSH) are a bigger deal. I'll let you know how that goes in a week. I start those on 4/25.

I've been doing a lot of reading in the past couple months. I've been learning what else I can do to maximize my chances of success this time. Let's face it- only 30% isn't great so anything I can do to improve that is positive. I've been reading a lot about Traditional Chinese Medicine and what that can offer. It's been eye opening and I think it does provide another perspective to improve fertility. Basically I've been trying to do some diet modifications including eating primarily organic meats and produce, taking some supplements and trying to find methods to relax and de-stress. I'm also pursing doing accupuncture as several studies indicate that this improves IVF success rates. I had my first accupuncture consult/treatment this past Wednesday. It was an interesting experience. I'm just hopeful it will provide a method of relaxation and improve my odds. I will continue the treatments weekly until the transfer and then one treatment the morning of the transfer and one a week later.

I also had my "Start Cycle" appointment this past week. This basically entailed having a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork, discussing when I do what meds and forking over a whole load of cash. In a way, though, it was a relief to pay it and know that we are DONE paying. We now have 3 chances with that $- God forbid we need them all. My ultrasound and bloodwork came back normal so everything is a go so far. I'll keep you posted.:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're feeling good about this. It has to be nice to have a better idea of what to expect and what everything means because you've gone through it all once. So glad the 3 for 2 worked out. It is also nice that you are done paying. Now you just take things a step at a time. Do you feel more relaxed going into it this time? I'm sure that will help too. We are praying that God will wrap blessings around this whole experience, for as long or short as it may be. You have been such a model of what trusting in Him looks like, even if you don't get a yes the first time around. We are proud to call you friends : )

Anonymous said...

i have a good feeling about this time too... we're praying for you constantly and believing God will provide for you and curtis!

love you!!

IndyBarnes said...

I think the lovely weather will help. The sun has a way of changing one's mood. We'll pray that you stay relaxed and in good spirits.